Tuesday, March 31, 2020

21A- Reading Reflection No. 2

Book: The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users, Guy Kawasaki

#1: What was the general theme or argument of the book?- In the book Guy argues that we should treat our social media accounts as a business rather than a hobby. Specifically, Guy states that if you want to succeed that you should treat it as you are trying to go pro.

#2: How did the book, in your opinion connect with and enhance what you are leaning in ENT3003?- The book is a good way to learn how to manage a professional social media page that could directly benefit entrepreneurs in the form of free advertisement and coverage. By connecting the tips given in the book to the entrepreneur advice from ENT3003 future entrepreneurs can create a very solid starting point from which to promote their products.

#3: If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read what would that exercise involve?- If I were to create an assignment based on the topics discussed in this book I would assign students to create a professional social media account to practice strategies for managing a social media account for their business.

#4: What was you biggest surprise or "aha" moment when reading the book?- I was surprised when the book suggested that when creating social media accounts to decide on two platforms to use and then cross-promote both accounts. This surprised me because I had imagined that having as much social media coverage as possible would be the most beneficial strategy. However, in the book Guy states that this method becomes far too difficult to manage and recommends selecting on two such as Twitter and Instagram.

2 comments:

  1. I think creating a new social media account to practice on like in your in class exercises would be a good idea. Social media can be a very powerful tool, as many use it for their own personal or business related gains. If we can learn to use it professionally, or with in depth strategy, we may be able to enhance and better market our business ideas for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aaron,
    Reading your assignment really helped me understand what this book is about a little bit without even having read it. As someone who does not like social media whatsoever, it was interesting to read that Guy Kawasaki believes social media should be regarded as a business rather than a hobby. I do agree that social media can be a powerful tool and I think if more people used it solely for business purposes, it could benefit them greatly.

    ReplyDelete