The Book- How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big, Scott Adams
#1- The general theme of this book was discussing failure and how pretty much everyone fails at some point in their career or in their life, however this does not mean that you should give up and that you can still win big.
#2- This book connects with what I learned in ENT3003 because it seems that failure is somewhat built into the field of entrepreneurship itself. No venture is successfully instantly, it takes trail and error, failure after failure until you come across something that really works and begins to make a profit.
#3- If I had to create an assignment based on this book I would have students make contingency plans in the event their venture fails. By allowing students to formulate backup plans hopefully they will will be able to enhance these lessons in the future when their venture may depend on it.
#4- I was very surprised when the book began listing celebrities who had failed in their lives and who were not instant success, such as how Harrison Ford was a carpenter when he was 30 and did not become an actor until later in his life.
I agree that failure is a part of entrepreneurship. Failure is where the great ones succeed because they are able to accept it and learn from their mistakes. I think the assignment you created about contingency plans when a venture fails would be good practice for the real world because things don't always go perfectly. If we can all learn to embrace failure, we will be more successful.
ReplyDeleteHi Aaron,
ReplyDeleteI agree, failure is definitely a big part of entrepreneurship. As we’ve learned in class, when starting any business venture one is bound to run into failure at some step of the way. Learning how to deal with failure is critical. Your assignment on a contingency plan is a very smart idea as it will give people realistic expectations of what to expect.